Friday, October 22, 2010

Terra Lair: Seven Layers of Scare

Terra, Terror of the Cul de Sac, is not only talented at Halloween prop building – she’s also extremely willing to share her knowledge and experiences! Pretty much anything you see in her haunt can also be found on her blog with in-depth instructions to build/make it. So, if you can’t make it to Kansas City to see this Halloween phenom in person, be sure to check her out online!

Castle of Terra: Vampyr Reign was last year's theme.
CZ: I already know that Halloween is the most awesome holiday out there but my readers may not, so can you give us your opinion why it is?
TL: Halloween is awesome because it is so fun and you can spread that fun like a disease. Once they are infected, they are a Halloween fan for life!

CZ: When did you start “haunting”?
TL: The moment I returned from Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights in 2005. As hubby and I were walking between all the different haunts I noticed that many queue line displays looked like something I could attempt. Off to Home Depot I went.

CZ: Creepiest man behind the mask – Michael Myers or Jason?
TL: Jason! Would you believe I just saw both of those movies for the first time last year? The first go around I was too young to get into the theater. Then, I just kept trying to avoid seeing them because I don’t like gore. Ran out of road when someone at HalloweenForum dared me to watch them. After all these years of being afraid of seeing them I was like “Pffft..that was NOTHING!”

CZ: What is your favorite prop/decoration and why?
TL: Well, if you are asking of anyone’s prop, then it would be PumpkinRot’s new style of scarecrow in 2008: http://pumpkinrot.com/images/2008_83.jpg  Completely blew me AWAY. It is everything about what I love about Halloween. Terrifying, mysterious and beautifully artistic.

CZ: You must have one absolute favorite memory about your haunt - tell us what it is.
TL: Funny thing is, I didn’t even see it live when it happened. Last year I put a video camera outside of the haunt. A week after Halloween I had the chance to review the footage I got and there it was. A little girl’s dad finally came out of the haunt with her little sister and she ran up to her dad and pronounced that she didn’t scream ONCE. Just then, Boogedy fired off right in front of her and she made a HUGE scream! Loved it and so I put it at the end of my haunt video that’s up on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jQ1mKSQGNc

CZ: What’s the ultimate Halloween candy?
TL: Reese’s! I could eat and eat and eat those until I get sick.

CZ: How much time goes into your haunt each year?
TL: I work on it all year and think about it constantly. When I’m not doing that, I’m dreaming about it.

CZ: From whom or what do you draw your inspiration?
TL: Many pro-haunts: HalloweenHorrorNights (be there again this year), The Darkness, The ScareHouse and House of Torment. Then, of course, LaurieBeast and Pumpkinrot.

CZ: Morticia Addams or Lily Munster?
TL: Why Morticia of couse. She was sexy and drove Gomez crazy with passion.

CZ: Is your family supportive of your haunting obsession or do they think you’re insane?
TL: Both…They love me and so they don’t show that they think I’m nuts.

CZ: What does the future hold for your haunt?
TL: Better, better, better. Now that I feel I have a good handle on the Seven Layers of Scare I want to keep improving the haunt and keep it fresh.

CZ: Any links you’d like included?
TL: Here’s my blog that has the Seven Layers of Scare and many of my tutorials:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/blogs/terra/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Scaryladyvideos

1 comment:

  1. Great interview CZ. I love the skeleton photo! I have to get over and check out Terra's blog.

    ReplyDelete